This delicious cake proves you can never have too much of a good thing, combining heavenly dark chocolate with just-the-right-amount-of Canadian craft beer.
(NC) This delicious cake proves you can never have too much of a good thing, combining heavenly dark chocolate with just-the-right-amount-of Canadian craft beer. Perfect for rounding out a holiday meal or an après ski evening, this cake's quick prep and cooking times mean you can make it shortly before guests arrive and let it cool while entertaining. As a bonus, you only need a quarter cup of the beer for the recipe, so sip the rest yourself for a relaxing start to a great get-together.
Healthy Flourless Chocolate Winter Ale Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 to 25 minutes
• 1/2 cup (170 g) grass-fed butter or coconut oil
• 4 oz. (115 g) 70% dark chocolate
• 3 large eggs
• 1/4 cup (85 g) cocoa powder
• 3/4 cup (180 mL) honey
• 1/4 cup (60 mL) Granville Island Brewing's Lion's Winter Ale
• 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
• Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease an 8-inch spring-form pan generously with coconut oil or butter.
2. Melt the dark chocolate and butter together, stirring until completely smooth. You can use a double-boiler for this, or you can melt the chocolate into an oven-safe bowl in the oven for about 4 to 5 minutes.
3. In another small pan bring the beer and vanilla to a soft boil. Reduce to low and slowly add in the beer mixture, then the chocolate and butter mix until well incorporated. Combine with cocoa powder, honey, and eggs. Whisk well until a smooth batter forms. Pour batter into the greased pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the centre looks firm. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then remove from the sides — you'll appreciate the spring-form pan in this step. Allow to cool completely before serving.