High winds can lead to litter and debris when recyclables are blown from curbside recycling boxes.
Follow these other tips to reduce litter and help keep your neighbourhood clean:
- Set your Blue Box at the curb by 7 a.m. the morning of your collection day, rather than the night before
- Flatten boxboard and stuff it altogether into one boxboard box
- Stack your heavier recyclable items such as phone books and magazines on top of lighter material
- Keep recyclables below the rim of your recycling box to prevent the wind from catching them. You can use multiple recycling boxes for extra materials or use other rigid re-usable containers for extra recycling (containers must not exceed 3ftX2ft).
- Stack your Blue and Grey Boxes on top of one another to prevent flying debris
- If possible, bring in your recycling containers from the curb soon after the material is collected