Doug Hamilton, former chair of the Niagara Bid Group, was approved as chair of the 2021 Canada Summer Games Host Society Board of Directors.
The 13-members of the 2021 Canada Games Host Society Board of Directors, as well as the board chair, received unanimous approval from Regional Council at their recent meeting.
"I am very pleased with the expertise and diverse group of leaders that are actively participating in the 2021 Canada Summer Games through their new role on Niagara’s Host Society Board of Directors. I am confident that this group of talented individuals will help Niagara to host a Summer Games experience for athletes, visitors and residents that will be second to none" ~ Alan Caslin, Regional Chair
Doug Hamilton, former chair of the Niagara Bid Group, was approved as chair of the 2021 Canada Summer Games Host Society Board of Directors. Other community members who were approved to participate on the board include:
- Tom Arkell, Associate VP of University Services, Brock University
- Mary De Sousa, Executive VP of Marketing and Communications, FirstOntario Credit Union
- Dino DiCienzo Jr., President of Canadian Niagara Hotels Inc.
- Mario D’Uva, Managing Partner of Fallsview Golf Inc.
- Carolyn Hurst, Owner and President of Westcott Vineyards
- Karen Natho, Executive Director of Brock-Niagara Penguins Para-sport Program
- Michele O’Keefe, President and CEO of Basketball Canada
- Liz Palmieri, Former Executive Director of Niagara Community Foundation
- Tom Rankin, CEO of Rankin Construction
- Adrienne Smoke, Performing Arts Professional & Indigenous Community Advocate
- Wade Stayzer, VP Sales and Service of Meridian Credit Union
- Mary Turner, Former President and CEO of Canadian Tire Financial Services
- David Veres, Associate VP of Academic and Learner Services, Niagara College
Many other community leaders will also be participating on key host society committees. These persons include highly successful Niagara athletes such as:
Tonya Verbeek, 3-time Olympic medalist, wrestling
- Steve Bauer, Olympic medalist, cycling
- Marty Calder, Olympian, wrestling & National Team Coach
- Chris Critelli, Olympian, basketball & Asst. Athletic Director at Brock University
As the official languages of the games are both English and French, Niagara’s host society has also been recruiting leaders from Niagara’s francophone community on various committees.
"The announcement of the chair and board is an important milestone in the life cycle of each Canada Games Host Society. Doug Hamilton and his team will shape the vision of the 2021 Canada Games Host Society, and we have the utmost faith that this phenomenal group of people will help elevate the Canada Games Property to the next level." ~ Tom Quinn, Chairman of the Canada Games Council
Niagara Region, and its 12 local municipalities, will host the Canada Summer Games in August 2021. These games will feature approximately 5,000 athletes in 17 sports from all 13 provinces and territories. More than 5,000 volunteers will be needed to deliver these games and the projected economic benefit exceeds $200 million.
One of the next steps for the 2021 Canada Summer Games Host Society is to organize a series of planning sessions this fall. These planning sessions will help provide direction and focus for the host society’s activities over the next four years.
The board of directors will also begin to hire staff for the host society, which will start with the hiring of a CEO this fall.