Imagine sitting in front of a fire with the love of your life, your favourite bevy, fruit, veggies and Niagara Gold Fondue on Valentine's Day.
Niagara Gold Fondue
If you're from the area, you probably know just how delicious the cheeses from Upper Canada Cheese Company are. This recipe is one of the local cheese company's favourites. The perfect addition to a romantic evening at home with the love of your life on Valentine's Day. Easy to make and perfect for sharing on a cold winter's night.
- 1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
- 1 cup dry white wine (250ml)
- 1 tbsp corn starch (15ml)
- 1 cup Verjus (250ml)
- 4 cups shredded Niagara Gold
- 1 loaf of Vinifera bread, or your choice, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Fondue pot
- Fondue forks
- Rub the inside of a 4 quart heavy fondue pot with the cut sides of the garlic to flavour the pot. Discard garlic.
- Add the wine and ¾ cup Verjus to the pot and bring to a mild simmer over medium heat. In a separate small bowl mix together the cornstarch and the remaining Verjus.
- Gradually add cheese to the wine pot and cook, stirring constantly in a zigzag pattern (not in a circular motion) this is done to prevent the cheese from clumping, do this until the cheese is just melted and creamy; do not allow this mixture to boil.
- Stir cornstarch mixture again and then stir into fondue. Bring fondue to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened - about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer cheese fondue mixture to a fondue pot set over flame and serve with cubed bread for dipping.