Police Week 2018 – Celebrating Policing and Community Partnerships
The Niagara Regional Police Service is inviting the community to join us in celebrating Police Week from Saturday May 12 to Saturday May 19, 2018. Mid May has been recognized since approximately 1970 as police week.
The theme for this years campaign is "Celebrating Policing and Community Partnerships".
Police services across Ontario are preparing to celebrate Police Week which supports a collaborative approach towards safer and healthier communities in Ontario. It also recognizes the important role of the police in helping to achieve that goal and celebrates the positive relationships between local police officers and their communities.
The Niagara Regional Police Services (NRPS) has events planned throughout the week.
Saturday May 12
- The NRPS will co-host a community safety event at the Niagara Safety Village (100 Niagara College BLVD). The event is open to the public, and will run from 10:00AM to 2:00PM. There will be personnel and displays of equipment from the NRPS specialty units, Niagara Emergency Medical Service, Welland Fire Department, and many other local law enforcement and community partners. Dont miss the debut of the NRPS Motorcycle Drill Team with performances at 10:45am and 12:30am. There will also be a barbecue, face painting and games for kids.
- At 2:00PM the NRPS men's and women's tug of war teams will face off against our counterparts from New York on the Rainbow Bridge. Passports are required to walk out onto the bridge. Catch up with as our teams march down Clifton Hill to the incredible sound of the Niagara Regional Police Pipe Band. This will be the 55th year of this battle. All are welcome to come out and cheer us on.
Monday May 14
Coffee with a Cop
Join Chief Bryan MacCulloch, Deputy Chief Brett Flynn, Deputy Chief Bill Fordy and Acting District Commander Bill Harris for Coffee with a Cop at the Tim Horton's in downtown St. Catharines (King Street / James Street) 10:00AM to 11:30AM
Wednesday May 16
- 8 District Grimsby be hosting a community display at Hilary Bald Park in Beamsville (4483-4487 Garden Gate Terrace) from 4:00PM to 7:00PM. The event will have displays from a number of our specialty units including ATV's, Bike Patrol, Marine/ Underwater Search and Recovery, Emergency Task Unit (ETU), and the Explosive Disposal Unit (EDU).
Thursday May 17
- The NRPS Recruiting Unit is hosting an information session for those interested in a career as a police officer. The session starts at 6:00 PM at our Niagara Falls site at 5700 Valley Way in the Community Room.
- The 1 District St. Catharines office will be hosting a session at the St. Catharines Public Library from 6:30PM 8:30PM on "Crisis Collaboration that Works" highlighting
Initiatives such as the Crisis Outreach and Support Team (COAST) and Mobile Crisis Rapid Response Team (MCRRT). Representatives will be there from the Canadian
Mental Health Association Niagara, Pathstone Mental Health, the Alzheimer Society Niagara and the Distress Centre.
Our 2 District Niagara Falls / Niagara on the Lake and our 5 District Fort Erie officers can be found getting out in community going door-to-door sharing information about our "Lock it or Lose It" campaign. Many property crimes could be prevented by simply locking up valuables.
Our 6 District Port Colborne, and 3 District Welland, offices are liaising with local schools in their respective communities to host events. These events are not open to the public or media.
Please visit our website at: https://www.niagarapolice.ca/en/newsevents/communityevents.asp
To find out more about Police Week events locally and across Ontario, follow hashtags: #PoliceWeekON #NRPSPoliceWeek #PoliceWeek2018.
Our social media accounts will be active all week letting you know what else is going that is police week related. For a list of our social media accounts check out the link:
Information Sessions - Verified Alarm Response Program
We will be hosting a public information session on our new Verified Alarm Response Program at 7pm on Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at Niagara Regional Police Headquarters 5700 Valley Way, Niagara Falls. The public is invited to attend this session to learn more about the new Verified Alarm Response Program.
We will also be hosting an industry information session for alarm companies and monitoring agencies at 2pm on Monday, May 14, 2018 at Niagara Regional Police Headquarters 5700 Valley Way, Niagara Falls. Alarm and monitoring companies are invited to attend this session.